tisdag 30 mars 2010

unexpected

Yesterday it snowed. In the end of march. In Japan. I don't think that many people actually expected that. And as they say in Japan, "When it snows at a time that no one expected it to, anything can happen". And it sure did, I had one of my weirdest experienses during all of my time here in Japan yesterday.

I was on time for meeting up with Hiro and Ayu but they were not so I decided to just pop in a bookstore with recycled books close by to look for more of Tove Janssons books about Mumin that I'm reading in Japanese right now. I ask a woman behind a big stack of books if they had any and she said no. Thereafter followed the usual conversation you get with Japanese people; oh, your Japanese is so good, how long have you been here? Oh, only one year, that's amazing. Where are you from? Oh, Sweden, I'd really like to go. By this time the only costumer, a short man in a blue suit with slightly curly hair who looked like he read a lot of books, in the store joined in the conversation. He asked a little about Sweden and then he started asking about these books that I was looking for and asked me if I knew where to find them. I answered yes, yes, that wont be a problem, you can find them anywhere at Tsutaya or Book off.

The man then told me to come with him to the nearest Book off and that he would buy them for me because he was rich. (I think that was meant as a joke) I insisted that it wasn't necessary but he insisted back. From now things all happened so fast that I didn't have time to think or really react. He went in a high speed along Sanjo and across the bridge to Sanjo Keihan, I tried to make a comment about how beautiful Kamogawa is when the cherry-blossoms are blooming, he barley answered but asked about Sweden instead. At Book off we found two books which he paid for and then also insisted on giving me the change (which was about 150 kr), I think I blushed like a clown and stuttered 優しい (kind) in lack of anything better to say (I still don't know what is appropriate in this kind of situation..). Well, that's how Japanese guys are, you have a Japanese boyfriend so you should know, is what he answered. I tried to offer him some あげ玉 (used for cooking) that I had just got from a restaurant. He declined and told me to give it to Hiro. Then he rushed of in the same high speed saying something about having to meet someone himself, waving but not looking back.

This is one of the stories I have of kind, kind, kind Japanese who do you favours and never ask anything back. And here I am, one year later, and I still don't even know what to say in return.
<3


Now; preparing for Maycol's welcome back party that also happens to be the first party at Hiro's and my place since I moved in!
M

3 kommentarer:

Kevin sa...

That's kind of awesome.

Really :D

Kar sa...

your site so cool!! i like the name too lol

http://jajafashion.blogspot.com/

hazukashii sa...

Kevin: =D Right! Met any funny old men lately?
カルラ: Thanks very much. I'll check out your blog!